2) What inspired you to do anti-violence work?
I did some volunteer work in the past for domestic violence shelters and have been wanting to volunteer again within the domestic violence realm.
3) What kind of opportunities have you been involved with here?
I have been involved in the fund raising activities. It has been a great experience working with the team. Everyone is really dedicated and enthusiastic about the fundraising.
4) How has your involvement impacted your life?
Volunteer work can sometimes be intimidating and taking time out of our busy lives can be difficult. Volunteer work helps to build character in the end and also remind you of the importance of giving back to your community. We hear about domestic violence on the news every day and it helps to know that there is so much support in the city on these issues.
5) What pieces of wisdom would you share with new volunteers or community members who are interested in supporting W.O.M.A.N., Inc.?
Its been a great experience for me so far. The people that I have met on the events committee and the W. O.M.A.N Inc. staff have been wonderful and supportive to our ideas. I have found this volunteer work very rewarding, it is refreshing to be part of the change that we hope for every day.
What W.O.M.A.N. Inc. has to say about this stellar volunteer:
- “Monica came to the Events Committee during a time of transition and stepped right up to help out. She’s consistently helped lead the team by her active participation in monthly meetings- creating detailed agendas, and taking notes. She’s been integral at helping the group stay on task. Monica also coordinated a recent fundraiser and helped us make a key contribution to our overall fundraising efforts for the Rock N Roll Marathon.”