Hi all! In recognition of Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, we’re organizing a small project to show our support to teen survivors and those who are beginning to experience the dating scene.
Thanks for helping us reach new heights!
This has been another big year for us geographically, financially and programmatically.
Over the summer, we relocated from our long-term Mission office to a new space in the SOMA. The journey was a long one, filled with some trepidation and bumps in the road. At the end of it all, we are loving our new space as do our participants. Gentrification has pushed many amazing nonprofits out of San Francisco. Given this reality, we feel incredibly fortunate to be able to stay in the city we’ve called home since the beginning. We are extremely thankful for this transition and invigorated as we start this new leg in our journey.
Programmatically, we had a rousing year, offering our first hybrid domestic violence volunteer training. This was met with positive reviews, and participants loved the dual approach of online modules and in-person sessions allowing for activities, discussion and even art workshops to further the learning.
In addition to our training, we were honored to pilot our first Echando Pa’lante (Moving Forward) training. Past program participants went through a nine month domestic violence training and are now active ambassadors for W.O.M.A.N., Inc. They have provided hours of domestic violence education, outreach, support groups and were even interviewed on television in Spanish on W.O.M.A.N., Inc.’s. services.
Your ongoing support will be pivotal in our continued success!
Won’t you please make a gift to W.O.M.A.N., Inc. today?
Help us make 2017 the best yet!
Read more about our successes and the team members that help us to thrive in our
2016 Annual Report.
As the year comes to close, we are pleased to share with you our 2016 Annual Report. This report lays out our numerous accomplishments, our financial status, tells the story of a volunteer, board member and of a program participant and finally, how you can support our organization. I hope you will find the report is enlightening and inspiring.
Thank you for being a part of our community. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Please join us for an Open House on November 2nd, 2016 from 4-8 pm to celebrate the opening of the new W.O.M.A.N., Inc. space in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood.
There will be a wine tasting, silent auction of original art pieces and other unique lots, snacks and refreshments and a chance to meet our office staff, board members and volunteers. We hope to see you there and thank you for your efforts to help those impacted by domestic abuse and to build stronger, safer communities.
What: W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Open House
Where: 26 Boardman Place, San Francisco
When: November 2nd, 2016 from 4:00 – 8:00 pm
Please RSVP on our Eventbrite so we can get a sense of how many of you we can expect! (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/woman-inc-open-house-tickets-28409641001)
There is NO COST to attend, but we would greatly appreciate donations to help cover the costs of the event. Interested in supporting our Open House? We’ve got a hardworking bunch putting this event together! Please consider making a donation to help us provide our awesome community members with eats & activities: https://www.crowdrise.com/womenorganizedtomakeabusenonexistent-purplepurse2016/fundraiser/teamwomaninc
Invite your friends on Facebook!
- Knowledge is power! Educate yourself about healthy and unhealthy relationships.Learn about the additional barriers people from different communities face when experiencing domestic violence. Challenge traditional ideas of domestic violence & squash misconceptions. Read about how different patterns of violence intersect with one another. Spread that knowledge around!
- Wear purple, the domestic violence awareness color. Show your support by adding some purple to your ensembles this October.
- If you’re interested in supporting W.O.M.A.N., Inc.:
- Allstate’s Purple Purse Challenge! We are excited to be selected to participate in this annual event, a nation-wide fundraiser to raise awareness of financial abuse & to promote economic empowerment. We have a chance to win $100,000 and would love to garner your support in our cause. Click here to find out how you can get involved.
- Contribute to our Pet Fund! Anyone who donates $25+ to the Pet Fund will receive a 2017 W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Pet Calendar
- If you’re interested in supporting W.O.M.A.N., Inc.:
- We are amongst a plethora of bay area anti-violence agencies. Find one you support, and contribute to the cause. Any little bit helps.
4. Attend an event near you! Domestic violence agencies from all around the country will be hosting events to honor DV awareness month. Participating in one is an easy way to be apart of the movement.
5. Contact a local domestic violence agency to learn more about domestic violence and what you can do to help.
- Interested in getting involved? Check out our volunteer opportunities!
- Engage. Educate. Empower! W.O.M.A.N., Inc. is offering a free workshop on how to support survivors of domestic violence.
6. Talk about it! Don’t be afraid to initiate conversations about domestic violence awareness. With that said, part of being a good ally is to do your best to exercise non-judgmental love and support. If someone opens up to you about their experience with abuse, actively listen and believe the survivor when they are brave enough to speak their truth. Here are some tips on disclosure to keep in mind when dealing with those experiencing domestic violence:
7. Take action on social media! The internet is FULL of stuff to get involved with. Share with your networks why you’re standing up against DV this month, start/participate in awareness campaigns (Examples: SurvivedAndPunished, NoMore, CPEDV Calendar, #SeeDV). So many ways to show your support just from your computer at home.
Remember, domestic violence is a community issue. You can have a role in ending domestic violence. Learn more about ways you can help:
- Check out the SF Department on the Status of Women’s Bystander Awareness campaign:learnwhattodo.org
- National Coalition to End Domestic Violence
- National Network to End Domestic Violence
- California Partnership to End Domestic Violence
- Northwest Network
- Move to End Violence
- Ways To Confront a Loved One Who is Abusing Their Partner
If you feel you or someone you know may be experiencing abuse, please feel free to give our support line a call at (415)864-4722. We are here for you 24/7.
We are excited to announce that W.O.M.A.N., Inc. has been selected again to participate in The Allstate Foundation Purple Purse Challenge! Last year, this campaign raised nearly $3.1 million for domestic violence organizations across the nation & we’re going to be apart of that effort for the 2nd year in a row.
So here’s the deal: The Purple Purse Challenge is a fundraising campaign launched by The Allstate Foundation where DV organizations compete to raise the most money during Domestic Violence Awareness Month. The top team wins a grand prize cash donation of $100,000 from The Allstate Foundation. We are one of 250 agencies selected throughout the U.S., so this is a pretty cool opportunity!
It starts on September 28th at 9am PST and, this year, more than $650,000 will be awarded to participating organizations in the Challenge. We’d get big monetary prizes for placing in the top 5 and opportunities to win prizes during the weekly bonus challenges that happen throughout the month. On top of all of that, we get to keep 100% of all the funds we raise in the process. Pretty dang sweet.
How You Can Help:
1.Join Our Team, Become a Fundraiser!
Please consider joining our team as a fundraiser. By reaching out to your network of supporters, you can help us make an even bigger impact. You’d be helping us increase our visibility, raise awareness for domestic violence and fund our awesome programs!It takes less than five minutes to set up a fundraiser. All you have to do is Go Here and click ‘Fundraise for This Community Partner.’
Once you join the team, you have the option to personalize your page with a story and photos to illustrate why our cause is important to you. Then, when the Challenge starts on September 28th, share it with your people and start garnering support! Just the simple act of joining our team, gives us the opportunity to qualify for the first bonus challenge. Not only would this be a much appreciated effort to support us, there will be donation incentives and/or giveaways as the challenge progresses, so stay tuned!
If fundraising isn’t an option for you, we hope you’ll consider making a donation. We are proud of the work we do and truly couldn’t make it happen without your support. It’ll also help us with our goals during the the bonus challenges. Every donation makes a difference, no matter how big or small. When the time comes, you can select a fundraiser here on our Purple Purse page!
3. Spread the word!
We understand fundraising takes time, donating takes money and that not all of us have the capacity for that. Just taking a moment to share this on your social media platforms would be a great help! RSVP to the challenge on Facebook, share with & invite your friends here.
Thanks in advance for your participation!
– Note that these are drop-in groups rather than ongoing (closed) groups; participants may attend any or all complete sessions during the series.
– There is a suggested donation of $2 to $20 for each group. You are invited to donate if you wish.
– One or more sessions may be canceled/modified due to holidays; in that event, participants will be notified in advance.
If you have any concerns about your safety in attending either group, we are happy to talk with you more about that and assist with any safety planning you might want; please call our 24 hour Support Line at (415)864-4722