San Francisco Support Group Forming This Fall for women who have experienced an abusive or controlling relationship, past or present. The support group is co-led by Shalom Bayit and Bay Area Jewish Healing Center to create a spiritually healing, empowering, and safe space. It is free and confidential with childcare provided. All women are welcome regardless of age, affiliation, partner’s gender, or current relationship status. We welcome non-Jewish and transgender people who are seeking a Jewish women-centered space. To sign up, call Shalom Bayit at (510) 845-8874. For more information about Shalom Bayit, visit www.shalom-bayit.org
W.O.M.A.N, Inc. is pleased to announce that we will be offering an additional window of drop-in hours on Wednesday evenings. We hope that this may help to make our services accessible to folks who are unable to attend daytime hours.
STARTING WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 8TH, 2017
OUR DROP-IN SUPPORT HOURS WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:
11:00AM – 12:30PM
5:00PM – 6:30PM (NEW)
2:00PM – 3:30PM
LOCATION: W.O.M.A.N., INC. OFFICE, 26 BOARDMAN PLACE, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103
During drop-in support times, survivors of domestic violence, their friends and/or their family members can meet with a trained advocate for in-person support. In this meeting, we provide peer counseling, safety planning, and referrals. Additionally, survivors, their friends and/or family can learn more about W.O.M.A.N., Inc. services such as our peer support groups, Latinx Program, and therapy.
Drop-in support sessions are offered in English and Spanish.
For immediate assistance, please call our 24/7 Support Line at (415)864-4722
W.O.M.A.N., Inc. tiene el placer de anunciar una ventana adicional de horas de apoyo los Miércoles por la noche. Esperamos que esto ayude hacer que nuestros servicios sean más accesibles a las personas que no puedan asistir durante el día.
Empezando Miércoles, Febrero, 8 2017
Nuestras horas de apoyo serán las siguientes:
11:00 AM- 12:30PM
5:00 PM- 6:30PM (NUEVO)
2:00PM – 3:30PM
Lugar: OFICINA WOMAN INC., 26 BOARDMAN PLACE, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103
Horas de apoyo serán ofrecidas en Ingles y Español.
Para más información, por favor visite http://www.womaninc.org/support
Para asistencia inmediata, por favor llame a nuestra 24/7 línea de apoyo (415)864- 4722
Friends! We are excited to let you know the calendar is now in the works & available for order! Thanks to your submissions, next year’s calendar is full of love & sweet faces. We loved hearing about the healing & pure joy your animal companions bring to your lives.
Sure to be an awesome gift for yourself and/or loved ones, you can reserve your 2017 W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Pet Calendar here.
Owning a pet and experiencing domestic violence adds an additional layer of complexity to the situation. The abusive partner may withhold money to pay for the animal’s food and water. When attempting to leave, a survivor might be denied housing and/or shelter access because the location does not accommodate pets. We have a fund that hopes to address some of these issues. The proceeds from our pet calendar sales will go back our Pet Fund which helps with food/water costs, kennel stays and more for pets whose humans have experienced domestic violence.
Want a calendar, but wish to make a general donation to our programs and services? Make a donation of at least
$30 $15 here, and indicate in the dedication notes that you would like a pet calendar!
Sneak peek below!
Why Pet Calendar? Follow this link to learn more.
Echando Pa’lante (EPL), which translates to “Moving Forward”,started out as a support group for monolingual Spanish speakers.. It was born out of a group of survivors who were no longer in crisis but still needed resources to help them beyond their domestic violence situation. They also wanted to keep a connection to the agency. This group would meet once a month with various topics that would range from yoga sessions, art activities, and presentations from outside agencies.
EPL is continues to meet once a month but participants felt like they needed to do more to give back to the agency that helped them so much. As a result of this, the EPL Leadership training took flight. In this process of becoming trained domestic violence advocates, members gained skills in the following areas: outreach, facilitating art based support groups, peer counseling, domestic violence prevention education, and the 40 hour domestic violence training.
Echando Pa’lante has grown so much and will continue to expand and grow. In the long run, EPL member’s hopes are to expand the training and spread awareness about domestic violence to their community in hopes that one day there will be no more violence.
–Adilia Preciado, Echando Pa’lante Coordinator
- Knowledge is power! Educate yourself about healthy and unhealthy relationships.Learn about the additional barriers people from different communities face when experiencing domestic violence. Challenge traditional ideas of domestic violence & squash misconceptions. Read about how different patterns of violence intersect with one another. Spread that knowledge around!
- Wear purple, the domestic violence awareness color. Show your support by adding some purple to your ensembles this October.
- If you’re interested in supporting W.O.M.A.N., Inc.:
- Allstate’s Purple Purse Challenge! We are excited to be selected to participate in this annual event, a nation-wide fundraiser to raise awareness of financial abuse & to promote economic empowerment. We have a chance to win $100,000 and would love to garner your support in our cause. Click here to find out how you can get involved.
- Contribute to our Pet Fund! Anyone who donates $25+ to the Pet Fund will receive a 2017 W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Pet Calendar
- We are amongst a plethora of bay area anti-violence agencies. Find one you support, and contribute to the cause. Any little bit helps.
4. Attend an event near you! Domestic violence agencies from all around the country will be hosting events to honor DV awareness month. Participating in one is an easy way to be apart of the movement.
5. Contact a local domestic violence agency to learn more about domestic violence and what you can do to help.
- Interested in getting involved? Check out our volunteer opportunities!
- Engage. Educate. Empower! W.O.M.A.N., Inc. is offering a free workshop on how to support survivors of domestic violence.
6. Talk about it! Don’t be afraid to initiate conversations about domestic violence awareness. With that said, part of being a good ally is to do your best to exercise non-judgmental love and support. If someone opens up to you about their experience with abuse, actively listen and believe the survivor when they are brave enough to speak their truth. Here are some tips on disclosure to keep in mind when dealing with those experiencing domestic violence:
7. Take action on social media! The internet is FULL of stuff to get involved with. Share with your networks why you’re standing up against DV this month, start/participate in awareness campaigns (Examples: SurvivedAndPunished, NoMore, CPEDV Calendar, #SeeDV). So many ways to show your support just from your computer at home.
Remember, domestic violence is a community issue. You can have a role in ending domestic violence. Learn more about ways you can help:
If you feel you or someone you know may be experiencing abuse, please feel free to give our support line a call at (415)864-4722. We are here for you 24/7.
www.womaninc.org | womaninc.wordpress.com
Invite friends on facebook!
*Featured art on the flyer created through A Window Between Worlds.
– Note that these are drop-in groups rather than ongoing (closed) groups; participants may attend any or all complete sessions during the series.
– There is a suggested donation of $2 to $20 for each group. You are invited to donate if you wish.
– One or more sessions may be canceled/modified due to holidays; in that event, participants will be notified in advance.
If you have any concerns about your safety in attending either group, we are happy to talk with you more about that and assist with any safety planning you might want; please call our 24 hour Support Line at (415)864-4722